YSWC
Welcome to YSWC! Feel free to log in or register!

YSWC

Yakima Salt Water Club

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» yellow tang with red stuff on it
Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:47 pm by Ed Hahn

» hello...new to the area
Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:46 pm by louphaen

» The Coral Reef Aquarium
Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:33 am by rouwraip

» Rose anenome
Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:22 am by Ricardo

» Hello all!
Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:57 pm by Reef safe eel

» Seth's 180
Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:20 pm by Tony Vargas

» Wrasse Heaven
Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:51 am by Tony Vargas

» Tank Hoods
Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:45 pm by GDSawyer

» anybody stop by this site anymore?
Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:47 pm by NaTe

Who is online?
In total there is 0 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 17 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:44 am
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Share | 

ICK!!!!!!!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joey

PostSubject: ICK!!!!!!!!!!!   Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:47 pm

wondering what experiences and treatments people have had with it...think i have an outbreak looking for some advise
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FightingPlankton
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ICK!!!!!!!!!!!   Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:56 pm

having just gone thru my own crisis w/ ick...and after getting advice from others and the internet...
heat your tank to 80-82(warmer water hastens life cycle of parasite) and add aquarium salt( i used kosher salt because my fish are jewish). i lost 3 skirts...3 remain...had i got to it earlier...probably would have only lost one.(im glad they were on sale)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joey

PostSubject: Re: ICK!!!!!!!!!!!   Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:57 pm

would the aquarium salt work for saltwater fish and i dont wanna harm the corals
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FightingPlankton
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ICK!!!!!!!!!!!   Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:40 am

i dont think so...u failed to tell me it was marine ick...
i read not to let salt creep get on corals...so im sure putting more salt wont help anything.
i'll do some quick research.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FightingPlankton
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ICK!!!!!!!!!!!   Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:46 am

i like this site.
you may not have ich...
check it out.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2160&aid=2420

i reccomend not using copper...since everything is allerigic to it.

i'd try putting your fish in a quarintine tank and let the parasites die.

quote from another page:

" Okay, you just found out the hard way, and now its too late, the parasite is in your tank, so now what? Well, now its time to kill the little commies. With the use of the quarantine tank that you are now going to go buy and set up, we can get rid of the parasites that are on the fish and those that are in your aquarium. This is going to be done with a two way attack, meaning that we must separate the fish from the aquarium by placing them into a quarantine tank. Yeah I know, its really hard to catch all the fish now, but to bad. It HAS to be done.
The reason it has to be done is that we are going to use the treatment method of hypo salinity, which means, the lowering of the salinity levels of the water that the fish are in, note that I said, that the fish are in. Which will be in the quarantine tank. You can not use this method on a reef tank with any inverts or corals in it. Don't worry, we will get to the tank itself in due time. Since the whole idea of our battle plan is to wipe out at least one stage of the parasites life cycle, we can attack the Trophont parasitic stage that are actually on the fish, not by direct attack on the adult parasite itself, but by making it impossible to complete its reproductive stage once it does drop off of the fish. This is done as I said, by placing ALL the fish into a quarantine tank and using a hypo salinity treatment. This link will explain exactly what to do when ALL the fish are in the quarantine tank. HYPO SALINITY TREATMENT. NOTE: You must use a refractometer to ensure proper salinity level is reached and maintained. A hydrometer can be highly inaccurate which could, and most likely will allow this parasite to continue on. If you can not use or get a refractometer, then I would treat the tank with another treatment method such as copper while still having to leave the main tank fallow for six weeks as well. "
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ice cree

PostSubject: Re: ICK!!!!!!!!!!!   Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Don't worry about raising the temp or anything. Throw your fish, all of them, in a QT that is going to be comfortable for them for up to 12 weeks. over the course of 48 hours, slowly drop the salinity down to between 1.11 to 1.13. Monitor this 2 times a day to make sure your salinity, ammonia, and nitrate levels are staying where they should be. NO CARBON, NO SKIMMER, just mild water flow, enough to push excess food into a filter. Keep the lights low, or off even.

Youll notice the ick dissappear after about a week, but you need to keep them in the QT for AT LEAST 10 weeks. I made the mistake of only doing it for 6, turned out to be a waste of time. The display tank needs to be fallow of any fish for at a minimum of 10 weeks to kill off every life cycle of the ick. My fish have been ick free for about 5 months now.

Its really simple to do, its just a pain in the ass having two tanks up and running.
Back to top Go down
IceCreamJones

PostSubject: Re: ICK!!!!!!!!!!!   Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:01 pm

ice cree wrote:
Don't worry about raising the temp or anything. Throw your fish, all of them, in a QT that is going to be comfortable for them for up to 12 weeks. over the course of 48 hours, slowly drop the salinity down to between 1.11 to 1.13. Monitor this 2 times a day to make sure your salinity, ammonia, and nitrate levels are staying where they should be. NO CARBON, NO SKIMMER, just mild water flow, enough to push excess food into a filter. Keep the lights low, or off even.

Youll notice the ick dissappear after about a week, but you need to keep them in the QT for AT LEAST 10 weeks. I made the mistake of only doing it for 6, turned out to be a waste of time. The display tank needs to be fallow of any fish for at a minimum of 10 weeks to kill off every life cycle of the ick. My fish have been ick free for about 5 months now.

Its really simple to do, its just a pain in the ass having two tanks up and running.

twas me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Http://www.Myspace.com/bhorton
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ICK!!!!!!!!!!!   

Back to top Go down

ICK!!!!!!!!!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
YSWC :: Questions & Info :: Problems???-
Jump to: