YSWC
Welcome to YSWC! Feel free to log in or register!
YSWC
Welcome to YSWC! Feel free to log in or register!
YSWC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YSWC

Yakima Salt Water Club

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» yellow tang with red stuff on it
yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 1:47 pm by Ed Hahn

» hello...new to the area
yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 10:46 pm by louphaen

» The Coral Reef Aquarium
yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 2:33 am by rouwraip

» Rose anenome
yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 10:22 am by Ricardo

» Hello all!
yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 10:57 pm by Reef safe eel

» Seth's 180
yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:20 pm by Tony Vargas

» Wrasse Heaven
yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 11:51 am by Tony Vargas

» Tank Hoods
yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 7:45 pm by GDSawyer

» anybody stop by this site anymore?
yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 6:47 pm by NaTe

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 146 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:38 am
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

yellow tang with red stuff on it

Go down 
+2
Jacobnano
jloffill
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jloffill

yellow tang with red stuff on it Empty
PostSubject: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:02 pm

help my yellow tang is getting red stuff on it. around one but not on the other the ph is 7.6 and pgrav is 1.021 did a 10% water change but he is getting worse does any one know what this is and how it treet. he is eating and swimming well. none of the other fish show any signs of this.
Back to top Go down
Jacobnano

Jacobnano

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Do you have a picture? Usually ich is white, so this is odd. Have you dipped the fish?
Back to top Go down
http://jacobswebsite.tk
NaTe

NaTe

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:27 pm

are u using tap water? your ph is really low like freshwater low. Run some test on your freshly mixed saltwater and like jacob said if it is an infection you may want to medicate your fish. Mela Fix or Pima fix don't add either directly to your tank
Back to top Go down
jloffill

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 2:55 pm

i used pimafix, it says to add to tank soooo yeah i did add it to the tank.
turned off the skimer. he looks a little better but his fin is really red i will do a water change and see if the ph will come up a bit it should be around 8.2 right.
Back to top Go down
NaTe

NaTe

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Quote :
should be around 8.2 right.

if your lucky, when i mix my ro water with Instant ocean Salt i am only getting 7.8-7.9 usally. witch is acceptable for marine life and just fine for fish

pimafix if added directly to the tank you should be alright but yes you will need to do regular water changes to get that stuff out of your tank. Do you have any corals in there to worry about?
Back to top Go down
jloffill

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:35 pm

No none but just got new lighting, was getting ready to get some, so will hold off for a bit.
Thanks for the help all. Does any one know how often cleaner shrimp shed mine has shed 4 times in 2 months i think it died every time i see that shell in my tank.
Back to top Go down
Jacobnano

Jacobnano

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:25 pm

That is a good thing that it is molting, that means it is growing and your tank parameters are good for shedding.
Back to top Go down
http://jacobswebsite.tk
NaTe

NaTe

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:38 pm

ya they do that for a while, while they are growing my last pair stopped molting after 6 months i recall and then i don't really remember seeing any more after that.
Back to top Go down
NaTe

NaTe

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 3:23 pm

hey jloffill why don't you tell us about your tank(s) theres not alot of us on here but i think i speak for us all when i say we would love to hear about another Yakima Valley hobbyist
Back to top Go down
jloffill

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Tang is doing a little better just red on one fin, all other is gone. thanks to all. I think it was to much light and to warm. turned off the lights for two days and brought the temp down to 74
Back to top Go down
Joey

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 pm

the temp might be to low...light shouldnt really affect him
Back to top Go down
larful

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 9:25 am

Jeff I have a ten gal you can borrow if you need a qt tank to treat him.
Back to top Go down
NaTe

NaTe

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 6:12 pm

you may already know this but just in case

play around with your equipment to try and get your tank to only do about 1-2 degree swing right at 78-80 or 79-81. Soft corals do better in the cooler water like 78-79 i have found

Fish have no way to control there body temperature so there at your mercy. And the warmer the temp goes not only does it stress fish but it raises metabolism. The temps swing alone can cause fish problems if its never had that kind of experience before.
Back to top Go down
Ed Hahn

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 1:47 pm

If you mix your saltwater with a powerhead for 24 hours or more in a open container you ph should be inbetween 8.1-8.3. Water comes out of RO/DI filter at a PH of 5 usually.
So its important to let gas exchange happen. I mix my filtered water with saltmix for at least 2 days. I use a rubbermaid trash can with a Mag 9.5 to mix/ let gas exchange happen. Rubbermad trash can is clean or cleaned periodically with no harsh chemicals- used only for RO or RO/DI water and mixing salt mix. This is one of the most common mistakes I see.

Instant Ocean/Reef Crystals have been very accurate for me when mixing this way.

This goes back to old rule- when ever you add any thing to tank- let it mix for at least 4 hours before testing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: yellow tang with red stuff on it   yellow tang with red stuff on it Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

yellow tang with red stuff on it
Page 1 of 1